No, it most likely won’t end up being the number one film opening this weekend, but it’s far from bombing (no pun intended).
Here’s what Deadline is reporting as of 11pm (Pacific) Friday night:
Hollywood studios were stunned by how well the No. 2 film, George Lucas banner film Red Tails, did in matinees today. Until they discovered that the Lucasfilm/Twentieth Century Fox movie’s marketing inside the African-American community resulted in busloads of schoolkids and midday filmgoers for the Tuskegee airmen’s story. Right now the pic appears very frontloaded but could keep surprising by flying towards $20M because of its ‘A’ CinemaScore from audiences.
Here are the Top 5 estimated grosses:
1. Underworld Awakening (Sony Pictures) NEW [3,078 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $9.8M, Estimated Weekend $23.4M
2. Red Tails (LucasFilm/Fox) NEW [2,512 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $6.2M, Estimated Weekend $17M
3. Contraband (Universal) Week 2 [2,870 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $3.7M, Estimated Weekend $12.5M, Estimated Cume $46.2M
4. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,630 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $3.2M, Estimated Weekend $9.5M, Estimated Cume $10M
5. Haywire (Relativity) NEW [2,439 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $3M, Estimated Weekend $8.6M
Read the full report at Deadline.com.